Thursday, June 28, 2007

Deadline

I saw Dr. Old Timer Monday. I am frustrated with him. He doesn't believe in doing a lot of testing, basically saying that it wouldn't change anything that we are doing now. Which I understand, I really do, but some of this doesn't make very much sense to me. I just had the most bizarre AF ever. (Skip ahead to next paragraph if you don't want the details). It only lasted 2 days, the first day I spotted red then it turned brown - which is normal for me. Then it goes from brown to almost black with sediment. And then almost abruptly stops. Usually AF stays for 3-4 days.

So I discuss the details of AF and Dr. Old Timer says that is likely the result of a "poor lining". He makes the comparison between a cycle on BCP and the period I just described. I was on BCP for YEARS and never had a cycle like that. So since this is the first IUI, I am nervous that we are stimulating ovulation early, but the lining isn't ready. Aren't there hormone levels that will detect a problem with the lining - is it progesterone? Anyway, he placates me by saying that we can repeat my blood work if I want, but it won't change anything.....what am I supposed to say to that? Then he tells me that he will not be doing IUI after October and that I should start thinking about IVF. I have four months, and with only one fallopian tube and the wrong ovary seemingly a bit of a bully, I am nervous about how many of those four months will actually be possible to do an IUI.

The good news (and only good news) about this particular visit is that my left ovary is already showing two follies that are larger than any on the right. CD3 and they are already 9.3 mm. Then I leave the doctor's office to get my clomid prescription filled and the pharmacy had closed early. The next day I go to the pharmacy first thing in the AM, they told me it would be 20 minutes, I come back 30 minutes later and they say "We don't have that in stock, we had to order it. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow." I was just about to throw a hissy fit after I asked for my prescription back and someone in the back happened to overhear the conversation and said that they did indeed have it, and it would be ready shortly. Crisis averted. There are not too many options for pharmacies in this area and I would have been screwed for another day or two if they could not get it.

In the meantime, I work for the next couple of nights, then off to visit my brother's family for the weekend. I have the telling u/s on Monday to see which side is ovulating, and hopefully an IUI by the end of the week. Why is it that the first two weeks of the cycle goes by so fast and the last two is like a slow walk through purgatory?

So between now and next weekend here is list of activities: work 3 12 hour night shifts and one day shift, drive 2.5 hours (one way) to visit with my brother's family, get some professional pictures of Z, attend/help organize a last minute 40th anniversary party for my in-laws, clean my house in anticipation of my entire family coming for the weekend, organize and throw a birthday party for my daughter, go to 2 doctor's appointments, hopefully have an IUI. Piece a cake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A scan is the only thing that will tell you what your lining looks like. They should be checking that when they do the follicle scan, they do for me.

Ask if you're not sure, it can't harm.

Good luck!