Wednesday, July 18, 2007

BBT *with UPDATE*

For those of you who are charting bbt, I have a question. During the first 3 months I used a tympanic thermometer - not the best I know, but my regular oral digital thermometer always read REALLY low - like 95. The big problem with the tympanic is that I toss and turn and if I take my temperature in the ear that was on the pillow the temp is falsely high. Sometimes I wake up and have no idea which side I was just on. This last month I ordered an oral, non-mercury thermometer specifically for bbt (it even came with a packet of baby dust). The fact that I have to take my temp for 5 minutes with this thing is inconvenient especially when I have to tend to my daughter and she can't wait 5minutes while I lie idle in bed. This new thermometer also seems to read a little low, and I have had greater temperature variations this month (don't know if it is the instrument or the cycle). I also take my temperature at all different times of the day because of my schedule. Sometimes I take my temp at 7:30 am, other times 5:00 pm. Dr. O.T. says that as long as it is after I have had about 5 hours of sleep (which I do not always get).

So - I would love to hear input on what ya'll are using - including the brand name if possible. Are other MDs relying heavily on bbt? Thanks!

I did talk to my friend before I came to work tonight and she is in amazingly good spirits. She starts chemo this week. I'm so glad that I made the effort to call. It is a difficult line to walk, where I want her to know that I am concerned but I don't want to be bawling. I also don't want to be too jokey and give the impression that I don't understand the seriousness of the situation. In the end, there was a nice balance of tears and laughter.

It's hard to believe the 2ww is almost over - fastest one ever! J wants me to poas Saturday morning so if possible we can have a couple (few?) adult beverages that night. I'm a little afraid that the way this week has gone, if I get a BFN if I start drinking, I might not be able to stop!

*UPDATE*
I had a temperature drop today (12/13 dpiui). It was significant 0.8 degrees, and I had only slept for about 4 hours. So it looks like I'll be able to have that drink(s) this weekend with my ol' college drinkin' pal J after all.

No comments: