Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Praying for incident free retrieval

Let's see if I can sum up my life in about 10 minutes...'cuz I gotta get to bed. I've just take some a.tivan...so who knows how this will all turn out.

Retrieval is tomorrow AM. We will leave the house at 6:30, hopefully be in the waiting room at 8:00, assist C with specimen production (see "the incident"), procedure at 9:00, home hopefully before dinner time (see the second "incident").

I'm incredibly anxious (note the earlier mention to a.tivan). I have been a raving BEOTCH for the last couple of days. Yesterday it came to a head and I was ready to rip the head off anyone who dared say the wrong thing to me....although who knows what that wrong thing could be....it could've been "hello, you look nice today". All of this was precipitated by my ride home with my co-worker who started off telling me about her SIL who is 31 weeks pg with twins via IVF. She started saying things like "I think IVF is such a miracle, and it's amazing what women will do to have a baby, I admire them...blah, blah, blah" Right as I was about to open my mouth and spill my beans, she keeps going on to say "But then I think maybe these women were just not mean to have kids". At this point I have closed my gaping mouth and tried to figure out a cool way to change the subject. Maybe driving us off the road will be subtle enough. I've read so many blogs that blame l.upron for wicked moods....but it is the tail end of my stims that make me insane. I was essentially on the same protocol as the last 2 cycles, but the last couple of days I've taken both AM and PM meds, usually it is only one or the other. My therapist that I saw today said that she would rather deal with clients that are on heroine or cocaine versus us juiced up on hormones. Physically I feel terrible, I'm so bloated. I've gained 5 pounds this week and I swear I can feel every ounce with each step. I almost called out sick yesterday, but thought "I'll be fine as long as I don't have to break out into a run". Well....guess what happened....we had 2 STAT c-sections going on at the same time and I had to run all over the unit.

I'm not going to turn this purely into a bitch session....mostly because I feel like I wouldn't know when to stop. The good news is that the a.tivan seems to be kicking in. I've had several conversations and emails with my anesthesiologist friend who will definitely be there tomorrow. He has been so attentive and is determined to make my sedation top notch. It's funny because he is not so much a friend as a very friendly colleague...but in his last email he signed it "Sweet dreams and happy thoughts"....less collegial, more friendly....and incredibly sweet. I feel like I am in good hands tomorrow. My favorite nurse should be there, they all know that either the IV team or anesthesia will be starting my IV, my favorite RE is doing the harvest and of course my anesthesia buddy (and his supervisor....a BIG head honcho in the department). I don't know that I am feeling that nice little hopeful feeling, but rather desperate. I find myself thinking "this HAS to work". Last night, amidst the sobs I thought "I don't have the strength to do this again". Will revisit that when I am a safe distance away from the hormones.

5 comments:

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

I was a total bitch during much of my stims this cycle, and I wasn't taking lupron at all. I don't know if it was one particular drug or the whole cocktail.

Best of luck tomorrow!

(Stay far away, pesky incidents.)

bb said...

Sending you good thoughts right now. I hope all goes well and the next few days are easy, peasy. {{hugs}}

I Believe in Miracles said...

Praying for you too!!! Let us know how it went when you can.
~~HUGS~~

areyoukiddingme said...

Good luck!

The counter-argument for your coworker is...so people who can save money, have the strength for multiple invasive procedures, injections, etc. are less qualified to be parents than the (take your pick from the following list: the 13 year old, the crack whore, the welfare mom who neglects her kids but spends that check just fine, the abusive parents)? It's not that I haven't wondered that about myself, but I don't think I would presume to say it about anyone else.

Artblog said...

Praying for you too love, good luck!

xxx