Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Yesterday I enlisted a fellow nurse to do my AM shot. I've tried to give myself my own IM injection during my first cycle, but it just felt so wrong holding that 22 gauge 1 1/2 inch needle above my thigh. I applaud all of you out there that can do their own IM injections!! Maybe it is an occupational hazard. Whenever I am starting an IV or giving an injection and my patient says "I hate needles". I usually respond "I don't mind them as long as I am on this end of the syringe." I've talked about how much I don't like being on the receiving end of needle for so long, even if I was joking, I think I have said it too much that it is now true. Anyway, I would have thought that the injection my co-worker would be doing would be less painul than my amateur husband...not so much. Maybe it was because it took 10 minutes for us find an inconspicuous room that was far away from the nurses' station (so it didn't look suspicious that we were walking into an empty room then shutting the door), or maybe it was because I was standing rather than laying down....and a little tense that someone would walk in. Whatever the reason, kudos to C for doing such a wonderful job.

I also talked to my favorite anesthesia resident yesterday. They rotate services every 4 weeks, and he is back on the OB rotation, which means he also does ERs. He was so awesome and attentive about what my needs would be. I told him about my IV nightmares, and he seemed open to giving me something for anxiety before the whole process...yeah. Unfortunately, I got an email from him this morning saying that there are 4 days this month when he will be on the cardiac unit....and the day that I am anticipating my ER to be, is one of those days. My second option in anesthesia docs is a good fall back, I was just hoping to be able to hand pick who would be in on my case.

I've gained 3 pounds. Not sure if it is stims, or all the CRAP I've been eating!! I had absolutely no control over my eating over the holidays and did zero exercise....I feel like a blob. I am such an emotional eater, and it wasn't until our company left that I realized that I was still shoveling food in my mouth. Yesterday I finally had the epiphany that it was because I'm stressed.

Z has been on another baby kick. Every couple of months she will start asking all sorts of baby questions. She will tell me how much she wants a sister, asks how do babies come out of mommies tummy (incidentally she decided that they come out of your mouth, and was then asking me to open my mouth as wide as I could. Z's BFF asked her mom the same question recently. She opted to be anatomically correct....this resulted in her daughter wanting to make a snow-woman complete with b.reasts and a va.gina. I think I will go with the mouth theory for the time being). She has also if she could name "the baby" Susannah. When I ask "What baby?" she says "the one in your tummy". *sigh*

I've decided that I'm going to start posting some more pictures...I love seeing pictures on other people's blog...so here it goes.






Annual Christmas or Thanksgiving Pre-hike photo of my family
(it was 12 degrees with the wind chill)




My latest obesession- cake decorating....
this was a cake for my brother's birthday (he's a hockey referee)

3 comments:

bb said...

Love the cake! Hate the IM shots! Take care of yourself.

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Hello from a fellow Cycle Sista!

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with this cycle.

I did my own IM injections in the thigh years ago, but each time I'd be unable to walk for several days afterward. DH has been doing the IM injections this cycle, but he'll be going out of town soon so I'll have to figure out how to give myself IM in my own backside. Never again in the thigh! Way too painful.

Oh, and the hockey cake is great!

I Believe in Miracles said...

Love the cake! Good luck with the IM shots. I still think those are the worst.
~~HUGS~~