Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Naps

So apparently today's meeting with the RE and IVF nurse was a bit more emotionally taxing than I had expected - as evidenced by my 1 hour nap on the way home and my husband's nap once we got home!

Nothing terribly exciting discussed today other than protocol and dates of upcoming appointments. I will by on 20u of Lupron, then 10u then 5u. I start menopur and 150 of Follistim am and pm on May3. Ultrasounds on May 1st and 9th. We discussed 3 day vs 5 day transfer and number of embryos. From everything that I have read 5 day blast transfer is preferred primarily because you don't have to transfer as many embryos, thus decreasing the risk for multiples. My RE said that they usually do 3 day transfers and that there is no difference in pregnancy rates with 3 vs 5 day transfer. Of course we will see how things go and possibly convert to 3 day. Does anyone have any input? My RE said she would do whatever I wanted. I am walking that line between trying to be my own health advocate and trusting that the doctors do this all the time and know what they are doing.

We didn't get any formal injection training as I do them all the time. My husband is a little too excited about giving me the IM injections. I will be out of town for my first Lupron shot, so it will be all me.

The RE isn't worried about my FSH =10 during the clomid challenge. Although she did say several times that my age was more of a concern than anything else. Both the RE and RN were ver bubbly and attentive today - which has been a bit of a change from the last couple of visits. We left feeling very reassured, but apparently tired.

4 comments:

bb said...

Only recently found your blog, and I wanted to say hello. I think we will be cycling about the same time. Good luck!!!

Rebecca said...

It is exhausting and I wish you all the luck in the world! I had a 5-day transfer and their justification for that is that you can really tell the strongest of the embryos...I don't know if it really makes a difference, but if they could see the embryos that really lasted that long, maybe it's worth a shot. Again, good luck.

Swim said...

3day vs 5day transfer really depends on how many eggs fertilize and how well they are dividing at day 3 (8-10 cell stage is best). If you get a lot of mature eggs during retrieval and a good fertilization rate then it could be worth pushing ET to day 5.

This is my long winded way of saying that 3day vs 5day really depends on your response and quality of embryos as to whether you do 3 or 5 day transfer.

I do 3 day transfer as I am a poor responder to the stim drugs and only get a few eggs each cycle.

Hope this helps, if not, feel free to send me an email or leave a comment for me on my blog.

Good luck.

Leah said...

I too just found your blog. Our stories are very similar! I have a 3 year old daughter who will turn 4 in August. To achieve a sibling, we endured 4 IUIs and moved on to IVF. It appears that the 3rd IVF has worked, so we're busy crossing our fingers.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know I was thinking of you and hoping for the best.