Thursday, November 8, 2007

Pr.os and C.ons

Ever wish someone would just tell you what is the right thing to do? I had my interview with the department manager Wednesday. I feel like this should be a black or white decision, and instead I find myself in a fog of gray. The department itself is very nice, and the people seem very nice. Let's look at some pro.s and co.ns of each job shall we?


Teeny Tiny Hospital (current)
2 nurses each shift
No LNAs
no unit secretary
no 24 pharmacy/housekeeping
200 births per year
little high risk experience
I'm comfortable in my position
25 minute commute
A lot of autonomy
Scheduling nightmares because of such a small staff
If the sh*t hits the fan, there is little to no back up
Night shift means that I see my daughter every day....even if it just getting her ready for pre-school, but night shift also means that I sleep on my "day off"

Night shift= more money, but I'm tired ALL THE TIME

NO IVF coverage



Big Scary Hospital
7-9 nurses each shift
3-4 LNAs each shift
2 unit secretaries
24 hour everything (read: I wouldn't have to mop the floors after deliveries)
1000 births per year
55% of births are high risk (read: I wouldn't know what the hell I'm doing...of course there would be orientation)
1 hour commute
Because this is a teaching hospital, I would lose a lot of the autonomy that I am used to
With a push of a button (literally) the neonatalogy team arrives to assist in a delivery
Self scheduling, and although there is a weekend commitment, it is flexible
Day shift means that on the days that I work, I would not see my daughter (leave at 5:30am, come home at about 8:30 pm), but my days off would not be spent sleeping

Only day shift is available = less money, but I would have a human-like schedule

IVF covered up to $35,000



The last two items are what are giving me a headache. I keep going back to the fact that if it wasn't for IVF, I wouldn't even be looking at this new job......but now that I have, it seems like I shouldn't pass it up. However, we are already strapped for money so what is a little less money coming in and more money going out (on gas, wear and tear on the car, daycare) going to do to our budget.

*UPDATE*

I actually thought that I tanked a few of the questions during the interview, but I have already gotten a call from HR saying that my interview went "very well" and they want to move forward to checking references. I am expecting them to offer the job next week. After MUCH thought and MUCH talking with friends, family and therapist....it is foolish for me not to take the job. I discovered while I was making the above lists, that it is not the job that I am worried about, it is the IVF. This will be our last chance, and we will probably only get 3 cycles at the most. I am worried about not just failed cycles, but a miscarriage, being put on bed rest, and multiple gestation. We are coming to the finish line of this journey and that scares the crap out of me. Our options are diminishing rapidly. When I was on clomid there was always IUIs, while doing IUIs there was always the option of IVF. Now if IVF fails, my next step is likely a hysterectomy because of the adenomyosis pain. You can't get more definitive than that on closing the door to another biological child. I just don't think that I could live without regret if we don't at least try IVF.

Next stop on the infertility train: coping with my fears.

No comments: