Sunday, November 25, 2007

Bored

Well, it's 2:30 am, we have no one in labor....so I blog.

Thanksgiving was awesome, but as always it went by way too fast. Both C and I were illin' with a nasty cold, so we didn't partake in the traditional trek through the woods. We ate a lot, but not too much. We played lots of Wii video games. I'm not a big "gamer" like my hubby, but getting the family together around a Wii is a riot. My 67 year old mother loves to play - especially baseball. We gave Z a controller but took out the batteries so she felt like she was a part of the action. My favorite part of the holiday though, was watching my daughter fall asleep on my father's chest. Five years ago he was diagnosed with melanoma that had spread to lymph nodes and an concurrent primary kidney cancer. The prognosis initially was bleak. He did things to insure that my mom would be taken care of should the unimaginable happen. He talked of regret in his life - in which he had only one - that he would not be around to see my children. Fast forward to today and he is healthy and vibrant and cancer free. Whenever I observe a tender moment between him and my daughter I fight back tears.

My mother broke the news that my cousin and his wife are expecting twins via IVF. I am not particularly close with that side of the family. He did come to our little family reunion that we had back in September, but before that I don't think that I have seen my cousin since our wedding (6 years ago), and he only lives one and half hours away. I keep thinking about how he continues to smoke when his mother has emphysema and requires supplemental oxygen 24 hours a day. His wife was also smoking at the reunion so I am curious what the her RE thinks about that. I pressed my mom for some details of why they needed IVF, but she didn't know. All she knew was that when they got married 2 years ago they wanted to have children right away, but that obviously didn't happen. I am contemplating getting their contact info. She would be my only connection IRL that has gone through this process, but she is only a little less than a stranger to me. I also had a brief moment of anxiety about the tone in which my mother told me they were having twins...almost like a warning. Sometimes I think that my mother feels it would be worse to have twins than not to have another child. C gently pointed out that my micro-analysis of my mother's intentions were unwarranted. My mother may have concerns, but she does not possess a mean bone in her body. If anything there is ignorance in her comments, but never malice.

No comments: