Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lessons

I've been obsessed with message boards lately, and find myself a little negligent on posting on my blog. Let's see, where am I in the stim process? Today I reduced my dose to 2 Men.opur and 150 Folli.stim in the evening only and 5 units Lu.pron in the am. My u/s on the first was good enough for me to bypass blood work that day. My lining was thin, and there were follicles waiting in the wings. My next appointment is Friday u/s and b/w. At my previous ultrasound the tech asked if it was ok if one of the residents came in and scanned me after she did....hmmm....did I mention that I work pretty closely with the residents? Unfortunately it was the only male resident in the program and I don't really know him all that well. So I am trying to formulate an answer that really should not be that difficult - yes or no. But here is my predicament: I plan on refusing having residents do any procedural work that may directly affect the outcome of retrieval or transfer. So after a tremendously long pause, I say "yes", because just doing a scan is not going to affect the outcome.

I am learning so much from being the one on the bed versus the one at bedside. My first lesson is that IM injections REALLY SUCK, and when at all possible give one in the hip (as opposed to the arm or leg). The next lesson I think that I am already good at, but I definitely need to keep in mind what it is like when two caregivers are standing at bedside and talking about the patient as if she was not there. This happened when the resident took over the wand. At one point they pointed out how my retroverted uterus was pushing my ovaries out of the way, but they were going exactly where they should. I spoke up and said "that is the nicest thing anyone has said to me all day". They both stopped, I believe they were shocked that this object on the table with wand up her chickie was talking! But then everyone laughed.

There is another lesson out there. One that does not have an outcome yet. C and I got into a huge fight the other day, and I believe there is still tension in the air - I will know more in a few minutes when he comes home. I will make a very long story as short as I can: C still needs to go in for freezing of his man juice. The timing is sensitive because he has to be "activity" free for 2-5 days before the freeze and before ER. ER is possibly mid next week. When I asked when his appointment was for the freezing he told me "next week some time". He went on to explain that he had a lot of things on his plate right now.....I hit the roof. I freaked a little and told him that no matter what else was going on, this needs to be our priority for the next 2 weeks. I don't get why he doesn't understand the timing of all of the procedures for the next week or so. I also wish that he had just taken care of this a few weeks ago so this wouldn't be an issue. I was at work when we had this conversation and was starting to stew...so I called back to find out what needs to be different in our communication for him to be more aware of appointments etc. The conversation ended very unresolved. C said that he had to "think about it" and he would get back to me.

*update* So when he came home tonight, he had brought me a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie. We have not talked specifically about the above conversation - frankly I'm not really in the mood to get into it. I've gained 4 pounds since Saturday, although it could very well be from the cookies I've been indulging in "because I deserve it". I'm a little worried that I'm not feeling bloated enough and that my ovaries are not plumping like they should.

1 comment:

bb said...

Glad the cookies are helping you through this IVF stuff! I am also missing a lot of bloat, and the nurse told me this morning, "It's still early. It's going to get really bad." Gee, I can't wait.