Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Transfer day

This morning started off very sketchy. While getting Z ready for preschool I remembered it was her turn to bring the snack (unfortunately for everyone in our house, the cupboards were bare). We quickly devised a plan for both of us to go and drop her off, swing by the grocery store and throw together a quick fruit salad once we got to school, then dash off to the hospital. Great, good plan. And then I see our cat out of the corner of my eye standing uncannily still, like a little black statue. As I go over to see what is up with her, I notice a relatively large pool of bloody fluid right behind her - crap! There is absolutely no wiggle room in our morning schedule for a cat that is bleeding from some orifice. After some frantic phone calls, we finally arrange for her to get dropped off at the vet. One crisis averted, on to the next: snack! We get to the grocery store, somehow spend $20 on fruit and rice cakes and head to school. As I am in the kitchen throwing stuff in a bowl, C comes in and says "Guess what? Today is NOT Z's snack day, it was last Tuesday". I had forgotten that she did not go to school one day last week because of a cough. Now I'm thinking - should I be worried about the way this day is progressing?

The drive to the hospital was pretty uneventful, I only panicked for a minute when I saw the sign that said "Caution: traffic stopped ahead". Yesterday they had to close the interstate while the put the skeleton of a bridge up, so I was hoping we weren't getting into that kind of mess. Our conversation turned from the interesting facts of the new book C is reading "Salt" (and yes, it is actually about salt) to what would we do if we suddenly found ourselves under attack by zombies. WTF??

Because I had overfilled my bladder for the mock transfer and was a little more conservative with the fluids this time - apparently too conservative, but it still got the job done. The RE came in to discuss the transfer. I was bummed that it was not my usual RE, he has a very good reputation, but his bedside manner is a bit lacking. He showed my the embryo report, which made no sense to me. I was expecting to see a grade for each embryo, but I guess that is more for a 3dt. I asked him if what they were transferring were of good quality and he said "its what we expect for day 5." Later when my hero of a nurse N came in, she said things like "this embryo report just doesn't get any better than this". Out of 14 eggs, 11 fertilized and it looks like we might have 7 to freeze. I am blown away! The transfer itself was not terribly comfortable, and took a little longer that I thought it would. But here I sit, with two perfect embryos inside me. There is a phrase that I have heard a couple of times and I couldn't wait to use it myself - I am pregnant until proven otherwise. My clinic is a little tricky with the betas. I have one drawn on the 27th, they will freeze that one and then run it when I have the second one drawn on the 29th, so they know what doubling time is I guess.

addendum: the cat should be fine, vet thinks it is just a UTI.

2 comments:

bb said...

Despite the hectic morning, it sounds like everything has turned out well. YAY for perfect blasts and YAY again for the 7 that made it to freeze!

So it sounds like you don't get the results of the first beta until May 29 - what the heck?

Good luck!

rachel blog said...

goodness gracious, what a day. good luck and great news about the blasts and the frosties