Thursday, March 13, 2008

Relief

Yesterday was a big day. I told my boss. I had been dreading this moment. Would she immediately see right through me and say "you only took this job for the IVF benefits, didn't you?" I wouldn't say she was ecstatic, but she definitely understood and appreciated my situation. The first thing she said was that she was glad that I came to her first and told her early (partly so that she could anticipate a hopefully relatively soon maternity leave). Of course I will schedule as much as I can on days off and if I need time off during a shift, they will happily accommodate my needs. The day got even better when I talked to the woman in charge of my orientation schedule. She was very warm and fuzzy and full of hugs and excitement. My latest concern about my schedule had been that I anticipate the week of ER and transfer will be around my last week of orientation. "No problem", she says. There is one week that I will need to spend doing some "classwork". It is a self study module.....so I will do that the week of ER and transfer. I almost cried of relief.

Earlier in the week I had my ultrasound and mock transfer - ouch. Everything was fine and looks clear with no problems anticipated for transfer. The results of my clomid challenge are another story. Since I had my day 10 FSH done at the hospital where I work, I looked up my results: 10. Piss. I don't know what my day 3 FSH or E2 is yet. My FSH 6 months ago was 5. I've heard that the results are only as good as your worst FSH, so I'm becoming less optimistic. In the online research that I've done, 10 is the bottom of the range for not responding well to the IVF hormones. If there is anyone out there still reading this and has any input, please let me know what your experience has been. I don't officially meet with my RE until April 9, but I will probably be getting my calendar dates in the next couple of weeks, and AF is due to arrive end of March -first of April. I'm trying desperately not to get too pessimistic without more information.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As hard as it was, it's got to feel really good to have the conversation with your boss out of the way.

No FSH experience, but lots and lots of hugs for you as you get it all figured out.

Anonymous said...

I have egg retrieval TOMORROW morning for my 1st IVF!! I also did the clomid challenge test and had a day 10 FSH of 10! I was not happy! I did need more medication to stimulate my ovaries, but I THINK they did pretty well. My RE said that FSH of 10 is in the "fair" range, and some docs consider it still normal. Good luck- the stims part of your cycle goes really fast! I'm dreading the 2ww though- that's the hardest part. Keep us posted!