Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Stop me if you heard this one....

It is a story about a 41 year old woman who has been trying to get pregnant for almost 4 years. She has had two surgeries, dozens of tests and blood work, 3 IUIs, 4 IVF cycles resulting in 2 pregnancies with heartbeats and one chemical pregnancy, all without the success of bringing home an actual child. Then after lots of soul searching and financial planning, decides that she is ready to move on to DE, following an FET. She is waiting for her period to start so she can start BCP and begin the process of FET. She goes on vacation, her period should be starting the day she leaves, although it never comes. She spends the next 8 days on vacation obsessing every time she goes to the bathroom...where the hell is AF? When she gets home from vacation she takes a pregnancy test...positive. Has a beta drawn the next day: 10,300. Has an ultrasound the day after that: baby measuring right on target with an adequate heartbeat. Twelve days later (7w4d) has another ultrasound that is spot on perfect with a great heartbeat.

Yes, I have become an anecdote. Now, let me clarify that we did not "relax" or "just forget about it for awhile". We did OPKs during that cycle and had very timed se.x. It was still stressful, the big difference is that I had no hope that it would work - why would I? I spent the first few days of vacation taking all sorts of cold and flu medication and stuff to help me sleep.

I am freaking out. Part of me wants to just be thrilled, but the infertile part of me is waiting for the other shoe to drop.

9 comments:

nancy said...

OMG!!! I am THRILLED for you! How exciting. Congrats on the pregnancy! :) :) :)

bb said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! OMG! I am so excited for you, and I hope this is the urban legend that sticks. Good luck!

(So just how far along are you?)

Congrats again!

Alyssa said...

I feel like I could have written parts of this post. I, too, got pregnant on the only cycle where I honestly thought there was no chance in hell that anything would come of it. And I'm still in complete shock that my baby is still in there.

Hang in there! I contemplated ways to go to sleep right after a BFP and wake up in a couple months to find out what happened. No luck.

Wishing you the best!

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

Oh my goodness, congratulations!

As a different kind of urban legend myself, I totally understand your reluctance to believe that this might really be it. It really might.

Good luck with everything!

MNRN said...

Whoopee!

And so it goes said...

Wow. OMG. Congrats- Hoping you can navigate this path without much anxiety. I am sure it must be tough. I loved getting this update- I have been checking in on you wondering how you were doing.

Michele said...

I know. I think us IFers always are waiting for the other shoe. I'm currently holding a very live, sleeping (and snoring) little girl while Peter is holding her noisy little (fed) twin brother, and I am still waiting for the other shoe. I mean, it has to be there, right???

But let's focus on the positive- you are uber pregnant!!! And that is AWESOME news!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I'll be thinking about you!

bb said...

Just popping in to say that I'm thinking of you and hoping that your silence these past 2 weeks are only because of the first trimester fatigue. {{hugs}}