Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Holiday report

A belated Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to everyone out there in blogland!

My visit to my parents' was not the relaxing get away that I desperately need, but was indeed fun. We went straight from there to my brother's house for a couple of days of chaos then back home to our own brand of chaos. I have had to work for the last 3 nights (that includes Christmas Eve, Christmas in case you were wondering). There has not been a patient in site for 3 entire shifts. The first night it was a nice break, but by the third night I am going a little crazy. It is compounded by the fact that the other nurse got floated to another unit, so I have been sitting here for going on 12 hours by myself, trying to stay awake.

Christmas went by way too fast and I missed way too much of it sleeping. My precious little Z was a joy to watch and was overwhelmed with presents from both sides of the family. I felt like I was spoiled rotten, not necessarily by the volume or the expense of the gifts, but by the thoughtfulness. C did give me a new iPod nano which felt a little indulgent, but I have to say I love it.

Not much to report on the IF front. C and I weren't even in the same state during what I'm pretty sure was my "fertile days". Honestly, I don't even feel like I have the energy right now to track these things. A couple months off of obligatory intimacy is just what I need. My 15 pound weight loss is not going well, although I thought I was doing great until I got home from my travels and stepped on the scale. I exercised every day...EVERY DAY. Before I left I was doing 30-40 minutes on the elliptical trainer, then while I was at my parents' house I went to the gym with my father and did 35 minutes on the elliptical and 25 minutes on the treadmill. When I was at my brother's my SIL and I walked (briskly) 50 minutes every day....even in the rain. And after all this hard work, I am rewarded with a one pound weight gain....damn it! I was very discouraged. Then when I get to work there is fudge, cookies, chocolates.....etc. Given my discouraged state and the need to do anything to stay awake....I have eaten way over my quota of Dove's chocolates....although I did manage to choke down carrots and celery at some point during the shift. I know I have to get back on the exercise horse, but it is probably not going to happen until Friday.

Friday I will also get fingerprinted for my nursing license in the new state. There is something about going to the police department and asking to be fingerprinted that just seems wrong. I have only 5 more shifts left at this job, then I have almost 2 weeks off before starting at the big hospital. I guess I should savor these slow shifts, because it is not likely to happen at a hospital that does 5 times as many births as we do.

No comments: